Five-Minute Friday: Season

At the moment, the word “season” does not invoke thoughts of Christmas or fall or winter or scenery. It invokes stress over clothing.

I started my adulthood – and first “big girl” job – in southern California, where there really isn’t such a thing as 4 seasons. I am going to blame my general inability to dress myself on this time in California. I did not learn to differentiate between what was “fall wear” versus “winter wear” and the idea that it was a fashion no-no to wear strappy sandals after a certain calendar date – or – gasp – the color white – just didn’t catch on for me.

Currently, I am trying to embrace a more minimalist lifestyle, and one of the concepts within this umbrella is that of the “capsule wardrobe.” The idea is simple: you will dress “better” (I think that means more coordinated and look more “put together”) with fewer items that can all mix and match, thus eliminating not knowing what to wear because your closet is overflowing with pieces you bought but have never worn, the presence of which is giving you choice paralysis. Some proponents of this concept say you need only 33 items in your closet (exclusive of certain things such as pajamas, underwear, loungewear, etc.). This idea appeals to me because I know I have more than I need since I only wear a fr20151129_151357action of what I own.

Last week I started with taking everything out of my closet and my drawers and sorting them into three piles: Love, Like, and Lose. I have made progress, but not nearly enough to truly say I have a capsule wardrobe. This weekend’s task, though, is to finish the job and create my “winter capsule” for December 6 – March 6. Wish me luck.

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Five-Minute Friday: Season

1. Rachel Quigley says:

Wow! You are braver than me! I have read other blogs and articles about people doing that and I just couldn’t pull it off. We do live in 4 distinct seasons. I need casual wear, work outside wear, professional wear, etc. And because of hot summers and blistering cold, I need all seasons. 33 items is just too few for me but I can totally see if you were in a very mild climate it could be done! Thanks for sharing and I would love to hear about what you finally decide when you get it all sorted out! Good luck to you! (Your neighbor at FMF)! Happy Friday to you!.

• Kirstin says:

I should clarify: the 33 items are only for one season, and the powers that be define that as a three-month time frame. So, December – March is my “winter capsule,” March – June is spring, June – September will be summer, and September – December will be fall. You revisit the closet and the 33 items each season. I, too, am curious to see what I decide. By putting this in writing, I am holding myself to this weekend as my final reckoning!

• Kirstin says:

Thanks for stopping by, Sylvia! Check back after this weekend if you’re curious – I will be honest about the good, the bad, and the ugly with this process and my end results!

2. spurredgirl says:

As I may have mentioned before, a 33-piece wardrobe is a foreign concept to me. However, I must admit that my clothes have taken over the second floor of my house. I have multiple mesh laundry baskets full of clothes, clean and otherwise, shopping bags from LOFT and Francesca’s, two overstuffed closets (I took over Andrew’s dress shirt closet in the study), and huge Ziploc bags full of last season’s wardrobe that have come down from the attic but haven’t found a home. I can’t fit anything else into my closet. I have a problem.

• Kirstin says:

As I started this process last weekend, I was more aware of my ridiculousness. When I went through items, I was putting pieces in the “Love” pile that I supposedly “love” for all the wrong reasons. Case in point: I have one item in that pile because it is warm. That’s it. Otherwise, it is old, I hate how I look in it, and it doesn’t much go with anything else. But it’s warm. For me, part of this undertaking is wanting to free myself from my stuff – not let my possessions posses me. Part of it is financial. I really don’t like shopping. I really don’t like spending money on items that are overpriced, lose value, and result in no net gain on my end. I have never regretted money I spend on travel (trip to you: priceless!), experiences like concerts and theater tickets (again, many shared with you), and educational ventures. Therefore, it makes sense that I steward my resources in these directions rather than consumer items I don’t really need, use, or see long-term value in.

• spurredgirl says:

Ha ha — loving something for its warmth is not so out-of-the-ordinary. I get what you are saying about not wanting your possessions to possess you. I think that I struggle with the challenge of keeping control over my clothes, i.e., keeping control over my body, i.e., gaining and losing and gaining and losing. I, too have a financial problem with buying endless dresses, pants, sweaters, and boots. But it’s not because I don’t like shopping…

I am about to write my own 5-Minute Friday. I have carved out a space for them on my blog. I’m not sure that’s how I want it set up; I was struggling with WordPress earlier. We shall see.

3. kamryn2015 says:

I feel like I knew this would be your response. Living in Florida we have many liberty’s against the seasonal wardrobe and I love it. In fact her it is the first week of December and I am breaking all sorts of fashion rules…especially if you look down at my feet and see fashionable flip flops:)

• Kirstin says:

I love this week’s topic because there are so many different directions you can go with it. Right now I have this damn capsule wardrobe on the brain. I do miss living in California when I was blissfully unaffected by seasonal clothing. I envy your flip-flopped feet.